Sunday, June 7, 2015

Condiments - Good and Bad

Condiments are a staple at most American tables. It is the ketchup and mustard and mayo and much more. There are condiments that are good for you and some that are not so good. I will review some of these for you today. 



Some of the most common condiments include ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. These can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. Most ketchup has high fructose corn syrup which is not good. If you can find ketchup that is organic in the health food section of the store it is much better

 Mustard does not have sugar in it so it is a good one. Mustard seeds are full of antioxidants and most mustard contains turmeric which is a great anti-inflammatory. I'm sure we have all heard of mustard plasters that are used often as a folk remedy.

Mayo is generally not good because it is made from soybean oil. Some folks have problems with soy and most soy is a GMO product. On the other hand, if you can find mayo that is made completely with olive oil it can be quite good.

Soy sauce is full of salt, comes from a GMO plant and often has wheat in it. A good substitute is Bragg's Liquid Aminos. I can't tell the difference between the two. (I have no connection with Bragg's, I just think it is a good product). 


Salad dressings are problematic. They also often contain soybean oil and added ingredients that are not good. Try instead lemon juice. A good salad dressing can be made with lemon juice and olive oil and maybe a little vinegar thrown in. Speaking of vinegar, many people like to put a little vinegar on certain foods. A good vinegar is apple cider vinegar. I've  had it with  spinach and it is delicious. 

Olive oil makes a great condiment.In the Middle East they dip bread in it. It can be used in salad dressings. I like it drizzled on my vegetables instead of butter.

There are many things that you can use to jazz up your food that are healthful. It is best to stay away from things that have sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors, or excessive salt. Some further suggestions of good condiments are guacamole, hummus and horseradish. 

Sources:
http://www.prevention.com/food/food-remedies/condiments-boost-your-health?slide=7
http://dailyhealthpost.com/the-5-healthiest-5-worst-condiments-for-your-body/

My new website is up and running. Take a look www.valerielull.com  I'm working on my next book. It will be an ebook and I hope to have it out in the next couple months. Have a great day. 


Valerie Lull
Author
Ten Healthy Teas

4 comments:

  1. You might not know it or noticed, but condiments can pack the pounds. but I was pleased that in the Military diet, there was list of healthy condiments available to use. I love the hummus, guacamole, hot sauce and pesto that are allowed. It made all the difference in the meals that I took, especially since these are very tasty indeed. Chicken and fish took on a different flavor with these condiments, I just love it. For more, see this amazing site: http://3daysmilitarydiet.com/faq/healthiest-condiments.html

    ReplyDelete